I’ve updated my instructions for using ssh-agent with Windows Subsystem for Linux, as originally described in this post. From here on, I’ll be maintaining this on GitLab and any changes or improvements can be found there.
I just came across this Q&A session with Linus Torvalds regarding the GPL, I was aware of his opinion, but I’ve never heard him talk about it in detail.
I’ve started learning Go, so I decided I’d try to get a good IDE. It seems like there is some sort of consensus that Microsoft Visual Studio Code is the current hot thing in the Go developer world, so I figured I’d check it out.
I must say that I’m mildly impressed. It’s available for OS X, Windows, and Linux and it’s pretty simple and extensible for most small projects.
Not only this, but it turns out that the source is all available under an MIT license as well! Here I am going on about Microsoft’s latest cross-platform, open source development tool. I never thought this day would come…
I was searching for a walk through of a bit of a screwy merge I have to do in a Git repo tonight, when I came across these videos by David Mahler. It wasn’t what I needed, but this is one of the best explanations of the core Git (and revision control) concepts for a beginner.
If you’re just learning Git, or looking for a refresher, check these out.Continue reading
I’m midway through a small project to migrate some old utilities I originally wrote many, many years ago for FreeBSD and that I’ve migrated from system to system over the years with small tweaks and various cross-platform improvements. It’s been a while since I’ve done any real programming so I’ve been reading some refreshers on things like documentation best practices and I stumbled across a good article, that’s aged quite well I thought was worth sharing.
It appears to be an IBM document from back in the day when they were making a big effort to enterprise-ify Linux and improve the level of documentation and tools for developers, but somebody at Harvard saw fit to host a mirror.
No big editorial, just a note for folks who have reason to use any of my GitHub projects and read the blog…
From here on, I’ll be maintaining any public software over here: https://gitlab.com/gmobrien
As a follow up to this post two weeks ago, it’s pretty obvious that the issue I was experiencing was caused by Bitdefender. Since switching back to using Kaspersky I’ve not experienced any slowdowns or abnormally high CPU or interrupt usage.
This is unfortunately since until I ran into this problem I had been quite happy with Bitdefender. I’d read some of the horror stories about Bitdefender’s quality control but I had chalked them up to the usual combination of overblown edge cases with wonky configurations and disgruntled fanboys. I can’t say for certain when this issue was introduced and I have to assume that it doesn’t manifest on every system or else it would be much more widely reported, but either way it’s serious enough for me to abandon paid software and buy a competing product.
I’ve been having some audio issues with Windows 10 for the past couple of months, they consist of occasional clicks and pops which appear to get worse the longer the uptime of the system. After extensive digging and quite a bit of testing involving installing and uninstalling software, verifying all of the hardware connections, replacing the discrete audio card (Asus Xonar Essence STX) with an external USB DAC and amp, as well as reinstalling the operating system several times, there was still no significant improvement.
The only data I was able to gather that was much beyond trial and error testing was that there seemed to be excessive CPU usage by the “System and compressed memory” service which could spike as high as 100% at times when I was experiencing more serious audio problems. These more severe audio glitches were definitely correlated to heavy CPU utilization, but after extensive research I was unable to determine any plausible course of action beyond the usual random suggestions on popular tech forums.
I was getting to the point of exasperation and even considering just giving up and replacing the computer.
But I was thinking about the problem this afternoon and I started thinking perhaps this was a result of antivirus software, Bitdefender in particular. It has somewhat of a reputation of being fast, effective and a bit buggy so I’m surprised I hadn’t thought of this sooner.
After a bit of digging I did come across some evidence that Bitdefender has been associated with excessive system interrupts. This could be a possible root cause. I’ve removed Bitdefender from my system and, though it required a reboot which tends to clear the problem temporarily, I haven’t heard a click in the past 2 hours.
I’ve grabbed a trial of Kaspersky Internet Security and I’m going to run that through the 30 day trial to see if the issue has resolved itself. I’ll post again if there is any change and whether or not this test is successful.
Below are my system specs for anybody who is interested:
- Intel Core i5-4670
- Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
- Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD)
- 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Stealth DDR3 SDRAM
- 512GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
- Schiit Bifrost DAC
I received notification that the Let’s Encrypt closed beta has started yesterday. As of this morning this domain is now running using the beta version of the client and service.
It’s looking pretty good so far, it’s a bit wonky to integrate with a site that is already running with HSTS since I don’t have a web server listening on port 80. (This is required for the verification step of certificate generation.) But thankfully the client comes bundled with a standalone webserver you can run to complete the setup.
The certs only last for 90 days (by design) and I’ll be interested to see how painful or painless the cert regeneration will be when the time comes, but otherwise it was trivial to get all of the other features I use up and running.
So far, so good!